Sunday, October 5, 2014

the importance of praise

I've learned about Carol Dweck's research in my classes through USC and find it fascinating.  And then I stumbled upon this little video from Simply Kinder's blog a couple days ago and just had to share!   


To summarize: The WAY you praise your students matters!  Praising students for their effort, instead of their ability, can have massive implications in their attitudes towards school, their success and their own confidence in their skills. 

One of my personal goals this year is to focus on what type of praise I'm offering my students.  I'm focusing on saying things like "Wow! You really did your best work in your journal today!" and "I can tell you really thought hard about that math problem".  It may take a while until I can do it 100% of the time, but I owe it to my students to try! 

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Have you seen specific, effort-based praise boost your students up and create a growth mindset in your own classroom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment